Criminology & Forensics Course at Level 3
- Course code: BUN03
- Delivery method: Online or Paper
- Course duration: 12 Months
- Entry requirements: No prior qualification needed
- Award achieved: Certificate of Achievement by ABC
- Awarding body: ABC
- The key aspects of how the study of Crime & Criminology came about, focussing on the main theories.
- The principal aspects of the Legal System, from the functions of the various courts to the people who have roles and responsibility for working within it including lawyers, judges, juries, witnesses, the Crown Prosecution Service and forensics experts.
- The issue of punishment and the range of punishments available to the courts.
- Crime statistics and the different ways they can be collated as well as the uses that can be made of them.
- Forensic science is concerned with using scientific methods either in public, in a court, or in the justice system as a whole. In fact, any science used for the purposes of the law is forensic science.
- The prime function of Forensic Scientists is to provide evidence to support criminal investigations.
- Drugs, violence, property crime, hi-tech crime detection is all about the appliance of forensic science.
Module 1 Criminology
- Italian School
- Lacassagne Discipline
- Sociological positivism
- Chicago School
- Strain Theory
- Social Learning
- Control Theory
Module 2 The United Kingdom Legal System
- Civil Courts
- High Court
- Coroner’s Court
- Magistrates’ Courts
- Crown Courts
- Youth Court
- Court of Appeal
- Criminal Cases Review Commission
- Supreme Court
- European Courts
- The European Court of Human Rights
- The National Crime Agency
- Trading Standards
- Health and Safety Executive
- Private individuals and organisations
- Prosecution and defence
- Crown Prosecution Service
- Private Organisations
Module 3 Crime Statistics
- Reporting and Recording crime
- Trends and Perceptions
Module 4 Crimes
- Violent Crimes
- Property crime
- Anti-social behaviour
- Organised or transnational crime
Module 5 Criminal Profiling
- Forensic Psychology
- Computer Forensics
- Forensic Accountancy
- Forensic Archaeology and Anthropology
- Forensic Dentistry
- Forensic Entomology
- Forensic Graphology
- Forensic Pathology
- Blood Groups
- Body Fluids
- Forensic Ballistics & Ballistic Fingerprinting
- Hair and Fibres
- Criminal Profiling
- Establishing the crime scene
- Securing and protecting the scene
- Collecting and categorising the evidence.
- Forensic and medical photography
- Tyre tracks
- Toxic Gasses
- Trace evidence
- Hair and fibres
- Insects and flies
The Criminal Case
- Blunt force
- Defensive wounds
- Crime scene reconstruction
- Face reconstruction
- Expert witnesses
The Future of Forensics
- Low copy number DNA
- Lie detection
- Digital Forensics
- Water and Forensics
- Familial DNA
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the details of all the units the learner has completed as part of the course).
The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards’ Quality Licence Scheme. This means that Kendal Publishing Ltd on behalf of UK Distance Learning & Publishing has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers, meet certain quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills towards regulated qualifications in the future. The unit summary can be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this sector. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner.
The course itself has been designed by UK Distance Learning & Publishing to meet specific learners’ and/or employers’ requirements which cannot be satisfied through current regulated qualifications. ABC Awards’ endorsement involves robust and rigorous quality audits by external auditors to ensure quality is continually met. A review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process.
ABC Awards is a leading national Awarding Organisation, regulated by Ofqual, and the Welsh Government. It has a long-established reputation for developing and awarding high quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. As a registered charity, ABC Awards combines 180 years of expertise but also implements a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers.
Renowned for excellent customer service, and quality standards, ABC Awards also offers Ofqual regulated qualifications for all ages and abilities post-14; all are developed with the support of relevant stakeholders to ensure that they meet the needs and standards of employers across the UK.
 Regulators for exams and assessments in England and Wales
Method of Study
Paper Based Version
The course comes to you as a paper-based pack delivered by courier.
You will be given guidance through the Study Guide on the nuts and bolts of studying and submitting assignments.
Postal assignments cannot be accepted without prior permission from the tutor.
Our online courses are fully digitised versions of the paper-courses, so you can study on any PC or smart device when connected to the internet.
As with the paper course, your online learning programme is completely flexible, so you can study at a pace that suits you.
All of our online course content is broken down into bite size chunks to make your learning more manageable and effective.
Method of Assessment
The course contains a number of assignments which your tutor will mark and give you valuable feedback on. We call these Tutor Marked Assignments (TMAs). You need only send the TMAs to your tutor for comment, not the self-assessment exercises which are also part of the course to help you gauge your progress.
Course Length Information
This course can be taken over a 12 month period but you can complete it as fast or as slowly as you wish.
You will have access to a tutor via email who will mark your work and guide you through the course and will assist you with any problems you may have. In addition you will be supplied with a comprehensive Study Guide which will help you through the study and assessment process.